30 August, 2012

First Impressions

The Epic of Gilgamesh is a intriguing story of a king who is at one point in time, a tyrant, and transforms into a valiant king of wisdom. The reader is given these two aspects of Gilgamesh's character just in the first tablet. I ask myself, "Why should I continue reading a story I already know the ending of?". 
I acknowledge Gilgamesh's transformation wasn't an overnight occurrence, and therefore, these two periods of time of these two very different characteristics [of Gilgamesh] are on the opposite ends of the "plot timeline". Why would anyone read a book that didn't have the many other medial elements of Freytag's Pyramid. The same goes for riding a roller coaster while unconscious, only waking at the end. Or eating a sandwich with out fillings, two slices of bland bread. The same goes with reading a good story.
Linguistically, The Epic of Gilgamesh (translated by Andrew George) has simple vocabulary but complex wording. Other ancient Greek texts I've read tend to be the opposite (simple wording; complex vocabulary). Therefore, a dictionary is not readily needed in this text, but one could be helpful.

1 comment:

  1. I will re-submit this comment as I managed to delete it the first time!

    I like your observations regarding the plot structure. Yes, a story that begins with the end? Can you think about how this in fact may produce more curiosity than a more linear plot structure? It is always fascinating to me that ancient literature is able to create suspense while giving crucial plot elements away. We will talk more about dramatic irony when we get to Aeschylus. I will be interested to see how compelling you find the story as we are drawn further into the epic.

    Good observations about word order too. Keep track of the syntax patterns as you continue to read. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete